Chan Vu is a blogger who loves to share her delicious recipes, DIY projects and love of travel through her creative space, Sweets By Chan. She was born in Vietnam but raised in the south as a Georgia peach! This lovely combination of cultures provides her a unique vantage point and allows her to create recipes that are both Asian and southern inspired. I absolutely love her Instagram feed because one moment it’s a Southern Chicken Biscuits recipe and the next day it’s an Asian dish that looks amazing! She sometimes creates an infusion of both, like in her Asian Chicken and Waffles recipe. Check out my interview with her below and grab her Apple Caramel Cake recipe, just in time for fall! Yum!
What’s your favorite thing about cooking?
My favorite thing about cooking is that it allows me to be creative. I never follow a recipe as instructed. I always add a little something extra or substitute an ingredient for something else to make it my own. I’ve even created short cuts from a recipe to save time and money. The end goal is to create an easy and delicious recipe to share with family and friends.
Do you look for food inspiration when you travel?
Yes, of course! I live to travel. I travel to eat. And I eat to discover new foods. I’m a big foodie and will try anything, anywhere. My favorite places to eat would be in a mom and pop’s restaurant, night markets and street vendors. I always want to eat what the locals eat. It’s the best way to learn about a culture and thier cuisines. I get a lot of my recipe inspirations from places I’ve visited, my Asian-American heritage and of course, what’s trending in the foodie world.
What’s your best tip for entertaining guest?
Always leave them with something to remember. It could be an unforgettable appetizer you served, a newly discovered bottle of wine you shared or that inspiring story of traveling solo you told. It’s about having good conversations with people and creating a lasting bond.
- 1/2 cup of ground oatmeal, finely ground in a food processor
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 and 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon apple spice mix
- 2 apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 /2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup of soft and chewy caramel, chopped small
- 3 tablespoons caramel drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease flat pan and set aside.
- Combine ground oatmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, and apple spice mix in a bowl. Mix well and leave aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, eggs and lemon juice. Add the dry ingredient and mix until everything is blended.
- Add apple chunks, soft and chewy caramel and walnuts.
- Spread the batter on the greased flat pan. Press it down evenly. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tooth-pick test comes out clean.
- Let cool and drizzle caramel on top. Serve and enjoy.